Online assistance for electrical trade people Login  |  Register  |   Forgot Password
Assistance for electrical trade people




Click here to send Ron a pdf document for publication on this Topic

Documents must be less than 200k in pdf format

Posted By Topic: Exisiting single dwelling conversion to double

Aug 26 2017 10:30

Hi guys, am doing a job where existing two level house is getting converted into two seperate dwellings with two separate metered supplies.

Existing setup is just the one meter for both levels.

I have already moved switchboard upstairs & separted the downstairs circuits from upstairs circuits.

I have tried to talk the customer into a check meter as it's a far cheaper less complex option but to no avail.

So my question is can you usually run another 16mm 60A supply or alternatively a fused 32A supply from supply side of existing meter to the new meter so that they share a common main from the street?

I assume power companies don't like this setup as one property could potentially overload the pole fuse & power to both properties is lost - if someone had life dependent medical equipment in one property that could be bad news.

So is it most likely a new main will have to be run from the street?
I guess another way around it could be to put a 40A fuse on one supply & a 20A fuse on the other but that will not really work in practice either.

Any ideas much appreciated....cheers


Aug 26 2017 13:40

Most distribution companies usually require the conversion to 2 phase supply, one phase for each flat.

The master switchboard with a master main switch on the incoming supply is where the 2 meters have to be located and must be accessible by the tenants of both flats, each flat can contain it own distribution switchboard and only needs to be accessible to the tenant of that flat only.

Controlled load (water heaters) wiring varies depending on how the controlled load is controlled and this varies widely in distribution company practices, need to ask the local distribution company what is their required arrangement, it should be in their service rules.