Online assistance for electrical trade people Login  |  Register  |   Forgot Password
Assistance for electrical trade people




Click here to send Ron a pdf document for publication on this Topic

Documents must be less than 200k in pdf format

Posted By Topic: Will a Electrical inspector sign off

Jan 29 2018 20:27


I know that it is possible for a home owner to do a certain amount of work for their own home.

Assuming a non-electrician knows what he is doing and can correctly wire a house. (I don't what to get in to the debate that only a electrician has this knowledge and ability)

Is it possible to wire and fit off an entire house and then get a electrical inspector to sign off the electrical work? May require several inspections at each stage.


Jan 29 2018 21:13

No, you will need 2 inspectors, one to sign off the COC for the home owner work and a 2nd one for the ROI for the mains inspection.

Been perfectly honest as an inspector there is no way I would be signing of the COC for any work done by the home owner, without seeing exactly how they ran each cable and checking every single connection done, doing this could soon be quite expensive for the home owner

Jan 30 2018 06:38

Find an electrical inspector before you start any work.

see NZECP51

Jan 30 2018 06:39

new link

Jan 30 2018 08:44

"Is it possible to wire and fit off an _ENTIRE_ house..." emphasis added

No. Refer to ESR57 for specific limits. Obvious no go areas are switchboards, consumer mains, earthing and bonding.

Jan 30 2018 10:01

Actually the switchboard is only a no-go area if the supply has already been fed. If it's not likely to have live conductors, you can connect your subcircuits to the switchboard.

Jan 30 2018 11:27

Andrew is correct with respect to installing subcircuits. Homeowner could do that, including installing the MCB, provided there is no likelihood of live conductors present.

The switchboard itself isn't listed in 57(3) as something the homeowner is allowed to install and wire up.

Jan 30 2018 20:56

NZECP51 is by this stage a very old document, which doesn't cater for a few rule sets you will find within NZS3000. so NZECP51 would not be the sole document for compliance for homeowner work.

Jan 30 2018 22:33

At the end of the day its what ever the electrical inspector will sign off.

Jan 31 2018 08:52

While I agree ECP 51 (2004) is outdated, it is in fact the only reference cited in ESR 57 for homeowner work to comply to.
For installing, extending, or altering circuits the work must be tested in accordance with "3000" by an Inspector. But that's just the testing, this rule doesn't require that the work comply with "3000". Most of the differences in installation rules between ECP 51 and current "3000" won't be picked up by testing to section 8.

Yet ESR 59 requires "every" installation to installed to comply with "3000". And the CoC declares that ALL relevant ESRs have been complied with. So if the work complies with ECP but not with 3000, it will have to be brought into compliance before a coC can be issued. Seems the effect is that the homeowner won't have committed any offence as long as their work complies with ECP.

The next stage - certification - is also required to be i.a.w "3000". However since "3000" doesn't include any certification requirements, hard to be certain what this is supposed to mean. The intent may be that the work be certified as complying with "3000", but that would be illogical given that the ECP is the primary compliance document. The ECP itself points to NZS 3019: as the inspection document; and it had a detailed list of matters to be checked. Current AS/NZS 3019 no longer has the relevant Section, so Inspector needs the older document.

Overall my view is that the inspector should inspect i.a.w to old NZS 3019, plus additional checks as may be required to be sure of compliance with current "3000. That will require a detailed knowledge of the changes in wiring rules since 2004.

Then test i.a.w Section 8 of AS/NZS 3000, and certify i.a.w. ESRs. Then connect & issue ESC.

Any homeowner thinking about doing this sort of work would be wise to find an Inspector first, and discuss not only at what stages the inspector wants to sight work in progress, but also requirements of current Wiring rules that are not included in ECP 51.
Don't expect it to be cheap - quite likely more expensive than simply hiring an electrician.

Feb 04 2018 17:10

Thanks for the replies. Its a new build, the mains has been installed with a meter and outlet for a temp supply all done with the sparky. I asked the sparky if he would wire the switchboard and sign off with me really just running the cables etc he was keen to help out.

Feb 04 2018 17:44

As soon as a home owner does any work that work has to be signed off by an Inspector, not an electrician

Feb 05 2018 12:50

"As soon as a home owner does any work that work has to be signed off by an Inspector, not an electrician"

I wonder where the line is?


Feb 05 2018 13:57

Not "any" work; only work that is installation or alteration of subcircuits & subamins requires sign-off; as per ESR 57.


Feb 07 2018 11:54

If you're being supervised by an electrician you can do the work under section 76 of the Act rather than section 79. Then the content of ESR 57 becomes irrelevant (in favour of ESR 92) and it's on the electrician to ensure that their supervision is adequate.

Feb 07 2018 14:06

True, but need to be aware of what "supervision" means in this context.
Mostly it's direct supervision, the person supervised can't be left alone to carry on.
And S.76 has its own limitations on what PEW can be done by the person supervised. Note EWRB now has two different "supervision" guidelines, one for trainees and one for S.76

Working under an exemption is not something to be treated lightly. Worksafe have already taken a case against a an employer under this section, when everyone involved thought the employee concerned was a trainee (section 77).