Online assistance for electrical trade people in New Zealand and Australia Login  |  Register  |   Forgot Password
Assistance for electrical trade people




Click here to send Ron a pdf document for publication on this Topic

Documents must be less than 200k in pdf format

Posted By Topic: Range plug & socket for new connection?

Apr 24 2018 16:19

I was sure that since AS/NZS3000:2007 when a range (stove) is upgraded the new connection had to be modified to a plug and socket if the old stove was still hardwired but I can\'t find the reg anywhere, is it well hidden or am I mistaken?

Apr 24 2018 16:47

Found it, 4.7.1...Can anyone describe exactly what an \"installation coupler\" is? Is it the junction box for a lead that some ovens have on the back of them now?

Apr 24 2018 17:15

No, it\'s a fitting on the wall that a lead can be connected to; basically different kind of \'detachable connection\", similar to a plug & socket.

For your main question; there is no requirement to install a socket when replacing an existing range in same position. Perfectly OK to change a range just the same as you might change a light or a socket or anything else. But if you relocate the position, then that\'s an alteration to the circuit and must comply with current rules; ie a socket & plug connection.

Apr 24 2018 19:35

4.7.2 actually.

Information on installation couplers is in 3.7.4.


Apr 24 2018 21:00

Does this only apply to free standing ovens/stoves? Inbuilt are still able to be hardwired?

Apr 24 2018 21:10

Thanks to you both for your help, I really appreciate it. AlecK can you point me to where it says that you don\'t need to upgrade the connection if its replacing the range? My understanding has been that if I were to replace an exterior battenholder I would need to fit an IP rated fitting.
SarMajor!! are you sure thats where that info is as I don\'t have those clauses...

Apr 25 2018 09:28

Yes only freestanding, built in ovens and hobs are still able to be hardwired if necessary

Apr 25 2018 10:45

Those clause numbers have been in the book since the 2007 version. And the same clauses were in the 2000 book with different numbers.

Apr 25 2018 11:52

I suspect that you are not using the latest version of AS/NZS3000:2007 as there is no 3.7.4 in the 2000 version and 4.7 in the 2000 version refers to batteries.

It is available for free download from Standards New Zealand via the EWRB web site.


Apr 25 2018 12:33

Thanks I\'ve found it now, must have been a senior moment.
I am fascinated with the distinction between altering a circuit and replacing an existing appliance with respect to upgrading to latest requirement.
If I was replacing a hot water cylinder for someone there is no way I would leave the 1960 connection in place with metal conduit and 10 amp round switch. If I am replacing a range I would upgrade to plug and socket. If I am replacing a light I will make sure the new light complies with the latest requirements.
My question: is there an \"out\" for this somewhere in AS/NZS?

Apr 25 2018 12:47

Would it be a correct interpretation of \'installation coupler\' to connect the flexible cable of the freestanding range to the installation wiring via a junction box rather than a socket outlet?

Apr 25 2018 14:17

snowhawk Apr 25 2018 12:47

Your comment
Would it be a correct interpretation of \'installation coupler\' to connect the flexible cable of the freestanding range to the installation wiring via a junction box rather than a socket outlet?

My comment
An installation coupler is a device which connnects installation wiring (typically 2.5 mm2) to flexible cable (typically 2.5 mm2).

It is designed only to be pulled apart under no load conditions and in all cases needs a tool to be able coupler apart.

Depending on site conditions the installation coupler is ususally not enclosed in any way.

Ask in a electrical wholesaler to show you one. They are often used in office partition systems to connnects installation wiring (typically 2.5 mm2) in the above roof space to flexible cable (typically 2.5 mm2)which runs down in the poles of the partition systems to a socket outlet mounted in the partition system.

I dont have a picture but if you Google \" Installation Coupler\" you will find some typical examples.

In prefsb building systems installation couplers are often used as the method of connection of wiring running from one section to another section of the building remember that the prefab building sictions have been prewired in a factory and the only site work is joining the wiring parts together.

Apr 25 2018 14:33

Thank you Pluto for your reply. I\'m with you now and have seen these installation couplers used in similar circumstances to those you mentioned. I take it that a 32amp version that would be suitable for connection of a typical freestanding range would not be available so the preferred method of connection is as described above ie: a socket and plug arrangement?

Apr 25 2018 14:37

sorry, disregard that question. I see that a suitable installation coupler is available for this application. Should have looked first. Socket outlet 32A 3pin WH

Apr 25 2018 17:12

the Clipsal product is a socket outlet and plug assembly it is NOT an insulation couplercompying with IEC 61535.

Apr 25 2018 21:34

I found a website (american) that gives an idea of a coupler :

But doesnt the Clipsal as stated above, satisfy the coupler requirements? E.g different socket outlet than the common powerpoint as well as flexible lead coming from appliance?

Apr 25 2018 22:12

Thanks Pluto -You\'re probably right.
Either way, the Clipsal product satisfies 4.7.2. It is slightly different to the normal socket outlet in that it sits more flush to the wall and the appliance lead plugs in from the bottom. possibly more cost effective also.
Has anyone here used a suitable installation coupler for this application eg: 3/4-wire 32amp ?

Apr 26 2018 15:44

The reference is ESR 59(3); one of the 3 permitted options for maintaining an installation / part-installation is \"in original condition\", the others are \"to comply with AS/NZS 3000 (meaning currently-cited version), and to comply with MIs for the fittings being used.

Apr 26 2018 20:23

I\'ve seen multiple Clipsal pug/sockets burn out, so only use the bulky PDL one, or the HPM one if it needs to be thin.