Online assistance for electrical trade people in New Zealand and Australia Login  |  Register  |   Forgot Password
Assistance for electrical trade people




Click here to send Forum Admin a pdf document for publication on this Topic

Documents must be less than 200k in pdf format

Posted By Topic: Changing sockets

Oct 23 2019 08:44

Good morning,

Im looking to replace a double socket fitting with a 4 socket fitting. The breaker is rated to 16A.

It will be used to power the washing machine and dishwasher plus small appliances (iron etc).

Is this something I can do myself as long as I am not changing the wire length or should I get an electrician into wire it in.

Its in a 1987 house with no RCBs in the switchboard too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Oct 23 2019 09:07

the limits of what can be done under the "homeowner" Exemption in Section 79 of the Electricity Act 1992 are set out in regulation 57 of the Electricity (Safety) Regulations 2010.
ESR 57 also requires that the work must be done, and tested, in accordance with ECP 51. That Code restricts homeowner work to fittings connected to TPS cable only.

problem 1: insufficient info to give a definite answer. Among the unknowns are whether you qualify for the Exemption, and whether the cabling is TPS.
problem 2: the ECP doesn't say how to do the tests, nor even what tests are required.

So I guess it comes down to how much you want to gamble your (and your family's) safety.


Oct 23 2019 09:39

Thank you for your quick response :D

The wires are TPS.

My understanding of 3e in the regs is that replacing fittings does not need to be tested but replacing or extending the wiring does need to be tested. I may be wrong on that front.


Oct 23 2019 10:15

ALL work needs to be tested
It's the ONLY way to know that no error has been made, and that the results of the work are safe to use. Even the best of us can make a mistake.

For a socket replacement; minimum would include earth continuity & polarity tests.